Employment Opportunities with the Society for Humanistic Judaism
Employment Opportunities in the Humanistic Jewish Movement
Kahal B’raira Managing Director
Kahal B’raira (KB), Greater Boston’s vibrant and growing congregation for Humanistic Judaism, seeks a new Managing Director. Kahal B’raira is Hebrew for “community of choice.” We welcome individuals of diverse backgrounds who are looking for an engaging, non-theistic way to connect themselves and their children with Jewish history, traditions, literature, and music. Members believe in the human capacity to create a better world. We share a sense of dedication as we prepare to celebrate 45 years of sharing community and exploring our Jewish roots in the Boston area.
Our new Managing Director will be a warm, organized, and adaptable team player who is enthusiastic about collaborating with our dynamic lay-led community.
The Managing Director supervises every aspect of the congregation’s functioning. This includes:
• Working closely with the president and executive committee;
• Supervising core staff (education director, music director, and facilities personnel);
• Recruiting and helping to train volunteers as well as supporting the work of numerous committees;
• Maintaining open lines of communication with members through a monthly bulletin, listserv notices, personal contact, and the website;
• Working with our Treasurer and an outside accountant to manage the congregation’s finances (including performing a variety of administrative tasks);
• Assisting with programming, outreach, and fundraising;
• Maintaining relationships with the larger Jewish community in the region.
The ideal candidate will have strong interpersonal and organizational skills, a collaborative approach to leadership, and an enthusiastic interest in Humanistic Judaism. They must be comfortable balancing the requirements of a multi-faceted role. This position is envisioned as full-time (35 hours/week) although the pace of the work ebbs and flows. At certain times, during the High Holidays, for example, the Managing Director may need to put in extra hours but at other times will have a chance to slow down and do less (over the summer, typically). Regular evening and weekend work is required. Candidates who prefer a part-time position are encouraged to apply; as a small congregation KB both values and offers flexibility.
Please visit https://kahalbraira.org/ to learn more about our unique congregation. Go to https://shj.org/ for more information about Humanistic Judaism. Then apply by sending a cover letter and resume to: Administrator@kahalbraira.org. Further details will be sent to interested candidates.
Employment Opportunities in Secular Movement Organizations
Secular Student Alliance (on-going)
The Secular Student Alliance lists positions available throughout the secular movement. Click here to find listings for jobs and internships.